Journalism: Feature Writing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas for week 1's homework

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ideas for week 1's homework Empty Ideas for week 1's homework

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 am

These are the questions for the group homework for week 1:

Group activity:
 In groups, come up with 3 ideas for feature articles
 Focus on one and decide what its purpose might be? (Educational? Entertainment? Info? Persuasion?)
 List possible content of that feature
 State which publication intended for
 What, therefore, will the style & tone be?
 Who might be interview?
 Suggestions for graphics/inclusions/side bars/ panels.

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Ideas for week 1's homework Empty Re: Ideas for week 1's homework

Post  sian Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:50 am

those questions are the classwork, the homework is:
Please analyse the three feature articles you were given under the following headings:
The intro ( introductory paragraph)
The narrative style and tone
What sort of publication do you think it appeared in? Demographically, who might the typical reader be?
The final paragraph

Please see the word document, Homework Week 1, for more detail.

theres a folder on wolf in week 1 saying article 1 2 n 3, guessing its those!

so if we get ideas for the classwork first, hw after?

some ideas for feature articles:

the recession - has it really ended?
how is the 2012 olympics going to affect us?
feature on some sort of celebrity

sian

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:59 am

Hmmm you know those articles? The Cadbury one and that? I thought that was individual homework, so I kinda, sorta, answered all of those last night o.0

As for the classwork stuff (which I think has become our homework, but I'm now thoroughly confused, I'll check the email she sent us again), I think those are some good ideas, I'd thought of:

The Ipad - exactly how many other electronics sectors are Apple going to try and infiltrate?

Universities changing the way they teach - Is it necessarily for the better, or are they just trying to confuse already stressed out students? (that's the polite version... Yes I'm still ranting after yesterday's meeting)

I'm still trying to come up with idea 3, but I think Sian's are good anyway Very Happy

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maria Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:00 am

Well, Carol and I came up with these ideas:

Feature on Earthquakes and its relation to Haiti
Profile of a writer
Feature on Domestic Violence

Maria

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:02 am

Is it me, or is Alison's email, not exactly that helpful?

'In the first instance, if you haven't already done so, please look at the Module Guide which has now been uploaded.

Then please go to Week 1 in the Topic Menu and see in this folder the lecture presentation which I would have delivered during the session. You will see there some questions: The first set relates to the in task you were to work through in class... Please use the magazines your group has bought (as per my previous email) to carry out this task in your own time. Please upload your answers into the Group Folder (Week 1 Task).

The second set is your homework for this week. In the Week 1 folder in thw Topic Menu, you will find three links to three feature articles. In your groups, please read these and then answer the questions on the slide.

Please upload your group's answers into the Week 1 Homework Folder in the Grup Folder.

Thanks and we will go through this in the session next Friday.

See you then,

Kind Regards,

Alison. '

That makes it sounds like we do the class work questions as homework, but they have nothing to do with articles we've found for class, unless that was just as a point of reference? Anyone else confusled?

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maria Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:03 am

Maybe we can pick one idea from each of our suggestions because I think we've all come up with good ideas.

Maria

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:05 am

I like that Haiti idea, its v. big news at the moment and so very topical. We just have to pick one idea and go into it in more detail then by the looks of it. I have told Sue about the forum, but I'm not sure she's found it yet Smile

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:08 am

Ok, essentially I'm a fruit loop, as I said I've answered the homework questions, so don't panic about them, I'll post what I did and we can add to it in a bit, just so we don't get confused with the class work questions.

I like the Haiti one, Sian's one about the Olympics and the recession (perhaps spin it for students and how the uni's changing everything?) and the Ipad one, but I haven't got a lot of info on it, it's just been bugging my brain since I listened to the news report on the radio yesterday.

Also, I don't think we have to actually write the article, which is good, we just have to come up with the ideas and the justifications for them Smile

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maria Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:10 am

I agree. I don't really know why we needed the magazines.
Carol and I like the feature idea about the university and students as well.
Sue's coming.
those ideas sound good and the uni idea is relevant to the times.

Maria

Back to top Go down

Post  sian Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:14 am

yep they all sound good - i think linking recession n students is good, it could then be for any newspaper, or include hannah's ranting too for the crywolf newspaper maybe?

sian

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:15 am

Coolio, so we doing the recession view, or the simple students getting their deal changed view? Both are topical, as are many of the ideas we've come up with (which is awesome).

I'm going to set up a seperate thread for the analysing questions so we don't get confused with the two pieces of work and I'll post the answers I came up with last night on there.

At least with a forum like this, we can carry on working even after the 11AM deadline we set ourselves, plus I can make it so only we can see it Smile

P.S. It's just told me Sian has posted while I was typing like a maniac... All I have to say is - YAY for the ranting!

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maria Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:18 am

those ideas are good. so which one are going to take forward?

Maria

Back to top Go down

Post  sue Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:21 am

Hi everybody
The homework says to scan today's headlines and create an idea. The hot news today is Tony Blair being interviewed re the Iraq war.
Sue.

sue

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:23 am

Feel free to object (objections = debate = possible augmentation and improvements = A grade (thanks very much Very Happy )), but I think if we do the studenty one, with possible mentions of the recession to link it to any publication like Sian said.

Basically because, we can comment how style would link it to a publication properly, but the topic is actually quite broad in respect to the publications it is applicable too and Sue will (probably I'm guessing) have good info and lots of complaints (sorry I meant to say quotes, though I really meant complaints) of students being a student rep.

But, like I said, feel free to suggest stuff cause I'm afraid of becoming a bossy boots.

Edit in response to Sue's post: Hmmm possible general election ties re: that article for the analysing question then?

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  sian Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:24 am

i would say recession, and then it could be for any number of newspapers or weekend magazines, slanted towards how young people are affected, could contain interviews n info on how kids in general with unempolyed parents are affected, kids in y11/13 - do they want to find whatever job they can/go to uni, and then older students, tuition fees, is it worth it etc? perhaps?

sian

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:26 am

That's a good take on it Sian, cause like you said, it can be aimed at loads of people. We can mention the fact also ('cause as Sue pointed out, it's all about TB today), that everyone's stressing and interested in what Previous PM did, rather than panicking about what's really important - how we're all going to feed ourselves because the economy's gone to the dogs.

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maria Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:27 am

Hi sue. welcome to the forum.
that's a good idea. the feature article could be about Blair's past and the future elections. Is labour good enough?

Maria

Back to top Go down

Post  sue Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:28 am

The student thing is good, it is just that the homework slide on the power point says 'scan today's headlines' so does she want us to specofically write something about today's news???? - if so I've just had a quick look at the guardian and it is about Tony Blair, and the death of John Slasinger who wrote catcher in the rye

sue

Back to top Go down

Post  sue Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:30 am

Tony Blair said 'education, education. education - so that would tie in with students being shafted to pay for the war in iraq

sue

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:31 am

Hmmm thinking I need an eye test because I completely miss the 'scan the headlines title' on the slide for the piece of work... I'm most definitely insane.

When I did it last year, we did focus on the main headline, but as there are many publications featuring many different things, different ones lead with a different main story, so perhaps we could say, the big national news is TB, but the big campus news is the whole students and the new curriculum debate?

For once I'm not typing quick enough! I keep trying to post and it says 'new message' so I read it and respond! Haha!

So we could actually tie the two together if we wanted? Awesomeness.

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Maria Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:35 am

It might be a good idea to focus on the feature article about John Slasinger and his life and works as a tribute to his memory.

Although, the Tony Blair idea is also good.

We need to make a decision soon so that we can go into greater depth on one of the ideas.

Maria

Back to top Go down

Post  sue Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:35 am

we have to come up with three ideas for articles, so if you want to do one about a writer, there's the one who died today - very topical.
Haiti is still in the news, but not as prominent, but we could do that as a third idea. I will have a quick look at other papers and see if they feature anything in their headlines.

sue

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 am

That's fine, it says come up with 3, then focus on one, so as we've been debating TB and Students being shafted, the economy could also be linked in with that thinking about it, we've got a nice amount of stuff to put for focus. One of the bits is 'List possible content of that feature' - well I don't think we'd have any problem with that!

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  sue Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:37 am

It says 3 ideas for articles

sue

Back to top Go down

Post  Hannah Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:40 am

I know, but the next bullet point says:

Focus on one and decide what its purpose might be? (Educational? Entertainment? Info? Persuasion?)

So I took that as, think of 3, but really go in depth on one? Feel free to correct me, besides, they way we're coming up with ideas, I don't see a problem detailing 3 different ideas in full anyway.

Hannah

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next